Read about Dr. Mark S. Schlissel, the 14th President of the University of Michigan.
The Inauguration: On Friday, September 5, 2014, Mark S. Schlissel will be installed as the fourteenth president of the University of Michigan. Tickets are available now.
Follow him on Twitter: @drmarkschlissel
About Government Relations
Vice President Cynthia H. Wilbanks oversees the Office of the Vice President for Government Relations.
University officials monitor federal and state legislation that impacts or involves higher education. Officials work with elected officials and government agencies in providing information and research findings that may assist their policy work.
Did You Know....
- Gov. Rick Snyder's recommended 6.1 percent budget increase for state universities is "great news for students and families in the state of Michigan," says Cynthia H. Wilbanks, U-M vice president for government relations. Record Article
- Read about what Michigan universities and businesses have accomplished by teaming up to help each other and the state during the recent recession. National Journal article.
- U-M ranks as a top university in World Reputation Rankings U-M is ranked as the 15th top university in the world according to the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings released Wednesday. Read more
- You can learn more about the State’s higher education appropriations process by joining the Alumni Association’s Legislative Advocacy program.
- U-M hospital care: Best in Michigan, among the best in the nation, says U.S. News. High national ranking for 12 U-M adult and 10 children's specialties continues two-decade trend. Read more
- U-M provides Guidelines for Political Campaigns and Ballot Initiatives.
- The Detroit Center is the base of operations for many of U–M's Detroit–focused programs
UMHS named among 101 best and brightest companies in Metro Detroit for ninth year
August 18, 2014 The University of Michigan Health System has been named one of Metropolitan Detroit's Best and Brightest Companies to Work For for the ninth time since 2005.
Only companies that distinguish themselves as having the most innovative and thoughtful human resources receive this honor.
"The U-M Health System is honored to be given this recognition,” says Stephanie Schroeder, Chief Human Resource Officer, Interim, at the UMHS. “It serves as a testimonial to our employees’ continued ability to serve a diverse patient population, think creatively and work together in new and effective ways." Read more
The Compliance Resource Center includes practical information about compliance topics, and more.
The Legislative Advocacy program promotes the value of public higher education to elected officials in the State of Michigan. Volunteers in the program communicate with officials on the State appropriation bill, as well as other non-budget issues as needed.
Next Caucus Event:
8/4/14 ANN ARBOR – The American shale gas boom has the potential to revitalize domestic manufacturing, and a new report from a University of Michigan-led panel recommends steps to make that happen in a responsible manner.
Includes The Michigan Memorial Phoenix Energy Institute (MMPEI)top