State Outreach / Lansing
Veronica A. W. Johnson, Ph.dDirector, Lansing Service Center
Veronica A. W. Wilkerson Johnson currently serves as director of the U-M Lansing Service Center, and as an outreach representative to communities in Mid-Michigan, particularly Battle Creek, Jackson and Mount Pleasant.
Veronica earned her Master's degree in Information from the University of Michigan and a Bachelor's degree in Communications/Journalism from Wayne State University. Prior to working for U-M, she worked in State Government for former Governor James J. Blanchard and Senator Hansen Clarke and at the Library of Michigan.
While serving as director since its inception in January of 1993, Veronica has:
- developed the Wolverine Caucus (WC), a monthly forum series that brings U-M faculty to Lansing to speak on substantive state government issues to U-M alumni who work in and around state government
- improved dialogue between the University's myriad departments, State government, and business and local community leaders
- arranged educational campus visits for her outreach areas
- collaborated with colleagues from other public universities for important projects , including the annual Michigan Undergraduate Research Forum which involves students from U-M Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint; Michigan State University, and Wayne State University
- collaborated with fellow UM outreach officers in the development and implementation of the annual Michigan Road Scholars Tour, a 4 day tour around the state for U-M faculty to learn in detail about Michigan in the areas of government, education, business, manufacturing, medical resources, the environment, agriculture, the arts, and the criminal justice system and prisons
- served on the U-M Alumni Board of Greater Lansing and aided in alumni related work across Mid-Michigan
- aided Mid-Michigan student recruitment efforts and in provided U-M information on financial aid and admissions to Mid-Michigan students
Veronica is very knowledgeable of State Government, business, academics, and research at U-M; she can be reached at 517. 372.7801